Monday, May 7, 2007

"Palm Coast and All That Jazz"

Saturday was one of those "Home Depot Days." As usual, the hot dog and the Coke at the front entrance was a great diversion from the real task at hand. My list was in my pocket and I even remembered a basket. "Weird," I thought, as I pushed it along, "Why do I have this little basket if I'm here to buy a stove? Anyway, I did what I came to do: grass seed, potting soil, flat edged spade, couple of new light fixtures, tile cutter (for the "procrastination project"), the above mentioned stove (on sale), matching microwave, and a Snickers at checkout. Oh, and did I mention my usual Home Improvement improv in the power tool section, lusting after a drill press I wouldn't use in this lifetime? Highlight of the outing? I was selected to "spin the wheel" when I came in the door and won a home projects "How To" book - how cool is that?
So I'm home... and after a little work, I'm ready for a shower and a nap, when the phone rings. It's our friend, Donna, from our RE/MAX office. "Are you guys free tonight?" she asks. "Oh, man," I'm thinking, "Why do people ask that way?" What am I getting into, if I say, "Yes?" And what might I miss, if I say, "No?" Plus, there's the moral dilemma of stretching the truth. And the more awkward position of perhaps being found out, if I fib. After this brief moment of inner turmoil, I reveal that we have no plans. Actually, that was the plan (you know... to have no plans... oh, forget it). "Great, because I have two extra tickets for Jazz Night over at The Wine Pairing Shoppe," says she. Now, I get around (if you know what I mean - wink, wink), but I had not heard of Jazz Night or The Wine Pairing Shoppe (http://TheWinePairingShoppe.com/) before this invitation. But, man, am I glad we found out. Selling Palm Coast real estate is our profession... and really connecting with our customers is our passion. Introducing them to this newly discovered spot will be our gift.
We were met at the door by a lovely woman with a sparkling, friendly way. Fay answered our questions and found us a great table. Knowing we were "newbies" to the scene, she checked in on us from time to time. Nice. The artist entertaining this night was Jan Crawford and her Blues Fusion band. She (and they) were amazing. Three hours of classical jazz interpretation: Billy Holiday, Nancy Wilson, Ella Fitzgerald, Tony Bennett, Louis Armstrong, Ray Charles, Peggy Lee and more. We were mesmerized and thoroughly entertained. The owners, Margo and Gary York, serve up a winning mixture of fine wines, cheeses, and ambiance. My partner and I don't drink (I'm sure, however, that I contributed mightily to the stock values of Coors and Jack Daniels during my 20 years in the Army - again, another story), but were quite happy with the nice choices of alternative beverages.
Margot told me they'd moved to Palm Coast a couple of years ago, from Massachusetts, after 20 & 29 years, respectively, with the Dow Jones Corporation. The wine shop idea was their brain child and they opened in December, 2005. Friday nights are "wine tastings," while Saturday is reserved for Jazz. They sell fine wines during the week and have a gift shop, as well. Private parties may reserve the shop for functions during the week. The Wine Pairing Shoppe is on Palm Coast Parkway in the St. Joe Business Center (across the Parkway from Ace Hardware). Visit their website (link, above) for more information. If you want to enjoy great jazz in the company of sophisticated wine and music aficionados... this will surely be to your liking...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

In the FWIW department ...
I happened to drop by the WPS on two separate occasions. I went with others, and we had a great time there.
But then ... I always have a great time around wine! :-)

Inna Hardison said...

Frank, you might be interested in supporting the Legacy Jazz Festival scheduled for May 3 - 11 in Palm Coast. The NEFJA puts it on and proceeds go to providing music scholarships to students attending Florida colleges. There is a dire need for sponsors this yeas, as our economy pretty much tanked, so the title sponsorship is now up for grabs on Ebay, but all the venue sponsorships as well as guide ads are being offered locally. www.flaglerlegacy.com details all of the opportunities to contribute. Or, just buy your tickets and see Freddy Cole, Vince Gardner, Eddie Henderson play at the Pirate's Auditorium that weekend. www.legacyjazz.com for all thix purchases and info on the line up.
thx-:-)

Why read "Palm Coast Unplugged?"

"Palm Coast Unplugged" gives a "backstage pass" to locally focused Palm Coast, Flagler Beach, and Ormond Beach, Florida... Real Estate and other useful information:
Please feel free to share your comments at the end of any blog post!