Wednesday, May 2, 2007

"I Blog, Therefore I Am"

When I first got wind of this "blogging" thing, my initial impulse was to jump in with both feet. I mean the whole language disrespect of the techie culture was beauty, in and of itself. If IBM were to re-name itself in the new world order, it might change from "International Business Machines" to "BizBots 4U" or sumpin,' sumpin'. Web Log, shortened to Blog was cool enough to pique my interest. I heard the voice from a past mentor, saying, "Remember, Frank... Leading Edge, not Bleeding Edge." I'm still not sure if waiting was the right thing, but I do know that thousands upon thousands of Blogs were started... yet haven't seen a fresh Post since Sundance and Antonella were voted off "Idol." Speaking of which, did you see it this week? You knew none of the girls were going home - and sure enough, "Bye, bye Phil and Chris." I guess it was Phil's time, but he got better and better as the show went on. (Please excuse me, I've got something in my eye...) You can bet he'll get a record deal and look pretty good in a cowboy hat, too. The touching scene between Blake and Chris was just... too... much... (Excuse me again - I'll be all right - honest...) Wait a sec, where was I? Oh, yeah, the Blog, heh, heh. Man, I get off track easily. My son has ADD/ADHD and I often wonder where he got it? So I finally started this Blog, well after the first phase had passed. "Why do I want to do this?" I asked myself. "It seems that there are sooo many Blogs. Does anyone read them?" Then I remembered a class I attended about six years ago in Virginia. It was given by Michael Russer, known in the real estate community, up till then, as "Mr. Internet." (see: http://www.Russer.com ) (That has since evolved into "Mr. Freakin' Internet", for ambiguous reasons.) A guy in the class asked him, "Now that everyone has a website, it seems that having one is no big deal, right?" I knew where this was headed. "So, based on that logic," said Mr. Internet, "You'll be taking your name out of the phone book?" The truth was that a lot of folks didn't get it back then. And still don't. Business success today demands a net presence. NAR (National Association of Realtors) stats are showing that a number approaching 90% of consumers considering a real estate transaction... begin with an Internet search for an agent (for example: http://www.TheWaterfrontBroker.com/) - not the old "Let your fingers do the walking" Yellow Pages drill. When's the last time you opened up a paper encyclopedia to get some information? I thought so... http://www.Wikipedia.org/ works like a champ! Want to try it? Go to the Wikipedia link here, click "English," then type in "Snowbird" in the Search bar. Then click the "discussion" tab at the top of the page to see the origin of the word, describing all our Palm Coast winter visitors. You'll be surprised at what you find...
So, why Blog? Because it's a means of expression, which allows a "backstage peek" into the Blogger's thoughts. It's a way for people to get to know me, yet at arm's length. No commitment. Don't have to sign anything. It's way different (or should be) from a website. No advertising. No chest pounding or, "We're #1" rhetoric. Mr. Russer teaches us that the IEC (Internet Empowered Consumer) wants it that way. They want to be in control of the relationship... right up to decision time: "What agent do we want to get us through this maze?" Hint: It's usually the ones who will provide accurate, useful information, without hounding them. Then, and only then - after this is decided - do the agents assert themselves. At this point, the good ones will know that consumers - even savvy, confident consumers - will want strong agents to take them by the hand and lead them through the transaction process.
And, for your information, unlike the Pointy Haired Boss in the Dilbert comic, I do do my own stuff (did I just say "do do?")... (and I'm smart enough now to pay Dilbert's owners for the re-print rights, unlike years ago with Disney's mouse - another story!) If you live in, or visit, or own property here in Palm Coast, Flagler Beach, or Flagler County - my hope is that you'll be a regular to this Blog. It's from me to you... a little humor... a little information. Enjoy:-)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey!
To answer your question, "Does anyone read them?" ..
From time to time I drop in and enjoy my plunge into your words.
Hey again!
Is that Wikipedia story about your coining the phrase true? I'm impressed if it is. And I'm almost as impressed if it isn't. BTW ... I was a "snowcat" for many yearsw. :-)

Why read "Palm Coast Unplugged?"

"Palm Coast Unplugged" gives a "backstage pass" to locally focused Palm Coast, Flagler Beach, and Ormond Beach, Florida... Real Estate and other useful information:
Please feel free to share your comments at the end of any blog post!