Tuesday, February 23, 2010

"Palm Coast, FL Neighborhoods"

When I moved to Palm Coast, a few weeks before 9-11, I thought it was odd that people lived in "The F's" or "The W's" or "The R's."  Who thought that up?  Those guys in the back room at AT&T had to be smokin' something.  Don't even get me going on the "We don't need no stinkin' sidewalks" travesty.  I would joke and say, "I thought The C Section was for Obstetricians only."  Nyuk, nyuk, nyuk. 




Well, the past nine years have flown by and the real estate scene has sure changed, hasn't it?  Here's what's bothering me today... It's the old "My neighborhood is better than yours" thing.  A client of mine, to whom I sold a house two years ago, emailed me to call  me out for selling them a home in "a less desirable part of town."  They had been there over two years... and never thought that... until someone else voiced an off-the-cuff opinion.  It makes me crazy when people say you should stay away from one section of town or the other.  I guess human nature is alive and well.  It's no secret that crime is up... all over the country.  This economy creates desperate situations for many. 


A call to the Sheriff's office revealed what I thought - that crime is spread around fairly evenly.  Also, not surprisingly, high priced areas in gated communities experience less crime.  Welcome to the world as it is.  If you think that your area is getting labeled unfairly, call the Sheriff's office and ask hard questions.  Get the facts.  If something needs to be done, exert your rights as a tax paying citizen of Flagler County.  Peace, out.

1 comment:

Pierre Tristam said...

One of the unsung advantages of Palm Coast is its virtual integration at every level--racial, socio-economic, religious. The only visible difference, other than the obvious one between gated and ungated neighborhoods, is between new subdivisions and older ones, though to assume that a new home is necessarily the marker of a better neighborhood is more fancy than fact.

Why read "Palm Coast Unplugged?"

"Palm Coast Unplugged" gives a "backstage pass" to locally focused Palm Coast, Flagler Beach, and Ormond Beach, Florida... Real Estate and other useful information:
Please feel free to share your comments at the end of any blog post!