Wednesday, February 18, 2009

"Father Tom's Sunset Cruise"

How to begin? He lived an Awesome life... Father Tom Zedar... and he was my brother.
And to be sure, I am my brother's brother. When we were together, we would scare each other with our fraternal and familial sameness. But when we were kids, we grated on each other's version of happiness. He was a "good" boy and preceding me by six years through St. Ambrose school, created certain challenges for me. The nuns, you see, remembered him. Sister Honorine, the school's unspoken matriarch, was also the Latin teacher. And guess who the President of the Latin Club had been? Hint: not me! "Rambunctious" would be a good word for me back then... and the coup' de grace' came when she asked, "Franky, why can't you be more like your big brother, Tommy?" "Oh, Sister," I thought... "If you only knew what I know!"
This short piece is not about Tom's life, as there's no way to do justice in such limited space. This is more of a short "farewell." I cannot, however, imagine a life more full than was his. He was a giver - caring and compassionate to a fault. He gave his life to the Priesthood. His lifelong ministry touched thousands with the unimaginable grace, forgiveness, truth and love of God. Those who were near him knew that there was something very special about him... and the love that he lived was real.
This is also a "Thank you" to the staff and parishioners of San Antonio Catholic Church in Port Charlotte, FL. Sister Colleen, Linda, Renee, Father Jacek, Father Christopher... You will never know the fullness of what my family and Tom's visiting friends experienced at your hands. The entire staff convened quickly and unselfishly created the most beautiful wake and funeral service that we could imagine. To use my daughter's words, "We were wrapped in a blanket of constant love for two days."
This was my brother's church, from which poor health forced him into early "retirement" in 2006. He started it as a mission from another larger church in September of 1992. He was the founding Pastor and always so thankful for the amazing assistance he received from his talented and giving parishioners. He used to quip that "the seminary never taught us much about real estate development." He was so proud of what you all, as a team, did over the years.... as you "welcomed all - proclaimed the gospel - celebrated the Eucharist - and shared the laughter and the tears."
One of Tom's unique legacies was his ability to turn the sadness of a funeral into a celebration of someone's life. He'd ask everyone to picture a beautiful shoreline and to feel the warmth of the sun on their faces. "Look," he'd say, "There is your loved one now... on a magnificent sloop - sails full with the tropical breeze... cruising toward the horizon and the enviting sunset." He'd have them waving goodbye, as the boat sailed out of sight. "But, wait," He'd say, "Beyond the horizon, there are others also waving." Only these were waves of welcome on a distant shore... the waves of those who had gone before... but now were waiting with open arms... to welcome them home to their eternal reward.
Well, we did that for Tom. The photo at the top, left, is Father Tom's Sunset, as seen from the shores of Ponce de Leon Park in Punta Gorda. If you look real close... just under the setting sun... you can catch a glimpse of his farewell wave...

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Frank,
Having recently lost my Dad and reading your kind words helped me remember him as my hero. Again reading your words about your brother shows me so much about how he was your hero.
God bless him for all the good work he did and people he touched.
Peter

Anonymous said...

Frank
He was one of a kind. We've known him, Joe, Betty and you since his days in Windsor. I'm sure they are part of the welcoming committee. I know how much he loved you and your family and your tribute to him showed that that love was returned. I was glad to see the humor you used. He would love that. Thanks Frank.
Janet

Anonymous said...

I knew Father Tom when he taught us Latin in high school. He was the best teacher AND the best priest I've ever known.

Anonymous said...

Frank
Thank you for allowing me to experience the wake and funeral of your dear brother Tom. It was truly a most holy experience with 60+ priests, a packed church and the Bishop conducting the service. The congregation, priests and Bishop sent him off "in style". It was an experience I will never forget and I am so moved with how revered and loved your brother was. You see he was my brother-in-law for 7 years and there was never a dull moment with him. I loved him too. He was a wonderful person and I know you will truly miss him.
Donna

Anonymous said...

Franky, He was well loved and made us all proud. I didn't know how to get in touch with you when I heard. Please know you are in my heart and I know how proud you are of your brother and now you have a "big gun" up there to help you out.I remember as kids he always looked out for you. We will celebrate Father Tom when you bring him here. Mary Clare

Anonymous said...

Tom was "the bomb!" (Can you say that about a priest?) He made the love of Jesus come alive for me. He was so "real." He's gone too soon, yet he gave so much. You had a great brother, Franky, and from what I see, you are a lot like him. Must have been the water up there in Endicott! God bless you and your family.

Anonymous said...

Dad! What a nice piece you have writen! I was there for the first mass but now I feel like I was there for the second one too! Uncle tom was so awsome in so manyways and yet so human and approachable. Knowing him was a gift because he had so. Much wisdom and humor to offer at the same time. He always said I was his favorite (and only :) nephu! He gave me the nickname Zach-arac-adac-adoo! I will miss him but with a smile just like he would have wanted! -zach

Anonymous said...

Dear Tom
Thank you for standing steadfast for the possibility of me finishing high school and the unimaginable of getting into and finishing University. A clever guy I may have been but with out your consistant reminding me of that i may have actually gotten away with my attempt of not aknowledging my own intellegence.
You gave my passion for slidding on snow some genuine form. Your generosity afforded this punk of ill means the ability to eventually sustain himself at the pinical of the ski teaching industry for 10 years.
I have been truely blessed to have flown so close to the ground for so long. Thank You. May your memory unfold appreciation always.
Love Chris

Frank Zedar said...

Chris! Thank you for posting up. You and your family got to spend a couple of quality days with Tom, right before he passed away. You were always such a huge part of his life. Too soon, Tom... Too soon! (P.S. I'm glad I got to ski with you (Stratton? Greek Peak?) before you "went pro!") Frank.

Joe Cooper (SCCHS, '72) said...

Dear Frank:

I am so sorry to learn of Tom’s death. Thank you for your email and conversation.
As I mentioned, we first met in 1969 at Catholic Central High School. I was a freshman and he my teacher and guidance counselor. We last visited together in 2005 when I was in Fort Meyers.
I lived on Leroy Street and would daily pass the priests’ residency on Chestnut Street. I would often attend daily Mass before school, which he would say. I remember his silver chalice that had your mom’s wedding ring on the bottom. I was the co-editor of our 1972 yearbook, which we dedicated to Tom. We went skiing together at Greek Peak and made a road trip to Vermont in 1972 to visit Ollie Riley who lived on Davis Street that was a freshman at St. Michael’s in Winooski. We listened endlessly to James Taylor’s Sweet Baby James in the gold GTO’s 8 track and listened to Jethro Tull’s Thick as a Brick in Ollie’s dorm room. We visited Washington, D.C. and walked the Mall from the Capitol to Arlington Cemetery. I took a picture of Spiro T. Agnew laying a wreath at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier with my Kodak Instamatic camera on Memorial Day and visited Fort Belvoir. Tom and I visited Gettysburg and toured the battlefields including a ride in a Bell helicopter. I recall the postcards he sent from Europe one summer and a trip to Scranton where he was attending graduate school. He bought me my first electric razor, a Norelco! We played ping-pong together in our basement.
Cathy and I were married in Indiana in 1983 and Tom gave us a beautiful Bible, which we still have. Years later we visited him in Windsor when our children were born and recall his two dogs. I recall his elegant printing and script as a student and on his personalized Christmas cards. In 1999 I was to be in the Florida area and wanted to visit, only to learn of Tom’s time in Rochester. We visited in Rochester and had lunch together downtown—we may have both had Reuben sandwiches! We spent hours talking. And then he came to visit us in Eau Claire and had hours to talk again. We went to a Lutheran evangelical church, which was quite a departure from the traditional Catholic Mass. We caught up again on a Sunday in the summer of 2005 and we had only an hour together. He showed me the hurricane damage done to his beloved San Antonio church and we talked about his atrial fibrillation and coumadin. I recall him saying the Coopers were in his daily prayers. We emailed again in 2007 and that was the last time we communicated.
Tom was always a generous, loving and caring man. I wish we could have had more time together.
Sincerely yours,
Joe Cooper (3/27/09)

Anonymous said...

Frank,

I attended CCHS class of 69'. Your brother always had a smile on his face and laugh at the ready. I moved to Cape Cod right after graduation and bump into him on the Cape the following summer with some of the other priests from CCHS. Our family had them ovwer to the house for drinks and we had a great time talking about CCHS and our days together. God rest his soul!

Tom McKeown CCHS 69'-Cape Cod, MA.

Why read "Palm Coast Unplugged?"

"Palm Coast Unplugged" gives a "backstage pass" to locally focused Palm Coast, Flagler Beach, and Ormond Beach, Florida... Real Estate and other useful information:
Please feel free to share your comments at the end of any blog post!